Sunday, January 23, 2011

Getting back to it


okay well i've never been a gym rat. we can all admit that. the closest i came to a gym rat was when we were going in the early mornings before the wedding. i had to get my arms in shape for that strapless dress! after the wedding, i slacked off. i joined 3 or 4 gyms over several years, faithfully and paid the fees every month, but rarely went. i always found a reason not to go...usually it was that i'd rather sit on my ass on the couch and watch TV. ha! well then came the year from hell when i couldn't have worked out if i tried. i couldn't even get a sneaker on my left foot for about three months!

however now i'm ready to take that giant step back into the gym and start working out again. jeff belongs to a gym near the house so i thought i'd try that one. we went today so that i could take a tour and sign up and he was going to sign up for training sessions. well "jimmy jack cash" did his hard sell for like an hour...btw that's his wrestling name...and we ended up with some good deals. i'm going to have one training session a week and then go work out on my own on other days. they even have machines that are made to be easy on your joints! i tried to emphasize my concerns about working out especially since some muscle groups like my wrists are so weak due to non-use. he promised that some of the trainers have experience with RA and i promised that i'd come back and find him if i wasn't happy. oooh i'm so tough...not like i can beat him up...yet.

cross your fingers that all this makes me better and not worse!

3 comments:

  1. I saw a woman working out with a trainer the other day and she had joint issues...they were doing a lot with balls (that's what she said)...weight balls and those huge balls...god, I am cracking up that I'm talking so much about balls in this comment, but it did seems to work. They also did a lot of stretching.

    I like barak's comment too...I think that would really help! I'm so proud of you!!!! Oh, and if you want to try spin, I'm totally down with that (even though Husband thinks your va-jay-jay might suffer for it)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! I'm so proud of you! Exercising helps your body and your mind (not intimating anything, really!)so I'm interested in hearing more about your experience. I especially think a trainer should help you get the most out of the experience. Keep us informed, OK? Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete