Friday, September 11, 2009

More med changes

Well I went to my rheumatologist today for a follow up. I had been looking forward to this appointment for a while because I would find out how much more I could decrease the prednisone. I would also figure out our next steps...I don't like not knowing what's coming next. I'm sure my husband would vouch for that. Anyway, I went to the appointment alone because Jeff had so much work to do today...I felt bad because he looked upset as I left. I didn't really want to go alone because I knew it would be easier to have his support during it. I also don't like being in public alone because I feel like I look funny. Well I did it alone and I'm fine...knew it would be okay.

So I went and I knew I wasn't acting like myself. I felt bad for it but I am so discouraged by this process at this point and was trying not to cry during the whole appointment. He did an x-ray on my knee and then decided that I should have a cortisone injection in the knee. Ouch! He said that would decrease inflammation which would allow the fluid that is in my foot and lower leg to return to my body as normal. Hope it works... Feels better already but is still unstable and a little painful. I'm resting as I was told to do. He said the bumps in my knuckles are fluid bubbles...yuck. He also said a diuretic wouldn't help my swelling go down, would actually make my overall situation worse. I suspected as much because no one had offered that option to me, but I still had to ask. I'm desperate to get my face back! Unfortunately, I have to stay on the prednisone for now. I'll go down to 5mg next week and then see him again to see what's next.

The end result of the appointment is that we're still treating the flare and have to add back in the methotrexate, which was the first medication I started weaning off of last October. That's right, it's been almost a year that I've been doing this shit. Ugh...nothing to show for it except knowing that I do indeed need to be on medications to treat these awful diseases. So now I'm offiially back where I started medication-wise, but worse off symptom-wise and with no baby to show for it. Awesome.

Got some BK on the way home to cheer me up and it was delicious! Then I took a nice nap while under a blanket that my husband put on top of me. So sweet :)

1 comment:

  1. BK always does the trick as does a carefully placed blanket by a loved one. I remember Mommy doing that for you many times. I know it's rough, but you had to give it a shot. Once this flare is completely under control, see what your next step is. Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete