Monday, November 9, 2009

Challenge

Okay, so my right hand "broke" again last week and is still not better...going on five days now. Anyway, this has been happening a lot lately which is extremely frustrating but also humorous. What's funny about that you ask? Well, I think the only way you can grasp (no pun intended) the humor is to do the following challenge.

I challenge you to do all of your normal functions and tasks with your non-dominant hand. I'll go easy on you and say you only have to do your normal morning routine, from turning off the alarm clock to driving your car to work. If you want to have lots of fun (note the sarcasm), do the challenge for the whole day. Trust me, you'll be laughing at some of the things you end up having to do. Note, you are not able to use your dominant hand for anything other than decoration (when my hand is "broken" i can't even put pressure on any part of the hand or wrist).

If you are having trouble thinking of what you'll have to do with your non-dominant hand, here are a few suggestions:
  1. brush your teeth (including put the toothpaste on)
  2. wash your hair
  3. wash your body
  4. put soap on your puff/washcloth
  5. shave your legs/face
  6. dry off after your shower
  7. put makeup on (including eyeliner)
  8. pop a zit
  9. blow your nose
  10. wipe yourself after going to the bathroom (a little gross, but this one gets the laughs)
  11. put deodorant on
  12. put lotion on
  13. put your bra on
  14. put socks on
  15. pull up your pants
  16. tie your shoelaces
  17. put your watch/necklace/bracelet on
  18. make breakfast
  19. eat breakfast
  20. start your car (this is difficult if you can't use your right hand)
  21. shift gears in your car (i hope you have an automatic)
  22. drive your car

I think you get the idea... Post some comments about your funniest moments, reflections, tasks that I didn't mention, etc. I'd love to hear how your morning goes!

4 comments:

  1. I'm totally going to do this...just did #10...not pretty! How the hell do you start your car???

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, I have enough hell in my life right now that I am not going to do this. But I will share that in high school I dislocated my right shoulder, thereby losing use of my dominant hand (and arm) for several weeks.
    #1 I accomplished by holding the toothbrush in my left hand and moving my head side-to-side (I can probably trace all my cavities back to that period
    #2 the washing wasn’t bad, but opening the bottles was pretty tough
    # 3/4 I’m a guy so I just skipped those
    #5 I also was able to skip that as I have never achieved a significant amount of facial hair
    #13 I don’t think I could do this with both hands (but I can take one off with one, ha ha)
    #16 I think I just had them tied once loosely and then wedged my feet in each morning
    #19 non-dominant hand eating sucks, especially something that needs to be cut. I did a lot of sandwiches
    #20-22 I had a standard, so driving was out of the question

    Other crappy things to do with only your non-dominant hand: deliver newspapers, handwritten homework, read in bed, unlock a door, and um . . . other personal matters . . .

    Sorry to hear this has been so tough, I hope you get some good breaks soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember having to do this for a few months straight. Socks were one of the ones that got me laughing or screaming every time. Buckling pants / belt is another tough one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. shaving- much to the chagrin of my husband I don't spend a lot of detail here but if I tried to do it with lefty I'd need a transfusion.

    The trainer for my triathlon told me to always wear gloves when bike riding because it was the difference of wiping yourself after an accident and having to have a loved one do it. I'm sure you can appreciate this now.

    ReplyDelete