Okay, so we all know how much I love prednisone and how much it has helped me over the past few weeks...but...it's making me a little crazy. I'm taking it three times a day now, which while it helps me function (I'm sooooooo much better), it is making my heart jump out of my chest and giving me crazy dreams and night sweats. So I'm a little torn about what to do...do I stop taking my nighttime dose and have my mornings go to shit or do I cut down on a daytime dose and risk feeling crappy at work? I think at first I'll try cutting my nighttime dose in half and see if that helps. While this is going on, I'm going to restart the Plaquenil at my old dose. Hopefully once that gets ramped up, I'll be able to cut out some of the prednisone. The prednisone should only be used short-term anyway, so I'm eager to get that out of my system if possible.
I saw my rheumatologist today and was not impressed. I've been one of his easier patients for most of the time that he's been seeing me...mostly a follow-up appointment every 6 months for prescription refills. So except for 2006 which sucked and now this pregnancy business, I've never given him any trouble. So you would think that maybe he'd be a little sympathetic to me when I say "I couldn't do anything myself" or "I lost all function" before going on the prednisone. He also kind of poo-pooed some dietary changes that I wanted to talk to him about...see next paragraph. When he refilled my prednisone I asked him to put it in with E-Z caps so that I can actually open the bottle (not so easy to open a prescription bottle with arthritic hands, I've come to find out), but he had already sent the prescription in. Don't you think he would have thought of that?
So about this diet...I'm reading a book about how diet can help with lupus and SLE. It suggests going vegan, which I don't think I can do. It also suggests no animal products or dairy, as that can affect inflammation. I do think I'm going to attempt vegetarian with some modifications. No alcohol, sugar, salt, or white flour either. We'll see about that...if you know me at all, you know I'm a foodie so I'm not sure I can do without all that. I think that a modified diet is better than what I am doing now though, so I'll do my best. Jeff's on board with diet changes, so maybe we'll both benefit healthwise.
BTW, I'm loving my reduced work schedule but am feeling guilty about not bringing in the dough. It really is helping me feel better though. More sleep and no 5am creaky knees...less stress with less patients too. I'll keep on this way for a while, at least until my boss asks me about it, lol.
Going home to Long Island this weekend with many plans to see family and friends. I'm so excited! Can't wait to see everyone :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I can't wait to become a vegetarian! Tofu, beans, and lettuce for me! Anyone need a grill - I won't be using mine any more.
ReplyDeleteSeriously though, if it helps, you know I'll support you!
Grilled veggies are awesome! It'll be a big change and be ready to be a little irritable coming off of the "white stuff," but I think it's worth a try! Don't worry about the money...you're making up for it by being able to walk! Gotta wonder about the doc...maybe it's time to do some research into others??? I'm proud of you!
ReplyDelete